Departments And Divisions
- Department of Pediatrics
Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Department of Pathology & Cell Biology
- Professor of Pediatrics (in Neurology)
- Chief, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs, Pediatrics
The Kernie Lab is interested in how the brain repairs itself following injury. The presence of adult neural stem and progenitor cells in the mammalian brain has awakened new interest and optimism in potential treatment for a variety of acquired brain disorders. We are interested in defining how adult neural stem and progenitor cells participate in injury-induced remodeling and in identifying genes and drugs that might be important in augmenting their contribution. In order to do this, we have generated a variety of transgenic mice that allow for us to temporally alter the endogenous stem cell population in order to optimize the post-injury remodeling that occurs.
- University of Washington School of Medicine
- Internship: Children's Medical Center - Dallas, TX
- Residency: Children's Medical Center - Dallas, TX
- Fellowship: Children's Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Education & Training
CUMC/516 West 168th Street Office516 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
- (212) 305-8458
- Neurobiology of Disease
- Developmental Brain Disease
- Effects of Insults on Brain Structure and Function
- Stem Cell Biology
- Yacine Tensaouti, Lab Manager
- Tzong-Shiue (Tony) Yu, Postdoctoral Fellow
- Sana Chintamen, Graduate Studnet
- Tensaouti, Y, Stephanz, EP, Yu, TZ, and Kernie, SG (2018). ApoE regulates the development of adult newborn hippocampal neurons. eNeuro. July/August, 5(4) e0155-18.2018 1-15. Accompanied by press release from the Society of Neuroscience (https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-07/sfn-arg072618.php)
- Slovis, JC, Gupta, N, Li, NY, Kernie, SG. and Miles, DK (2018). Assessment of recovery following pediatric traumatic brain injury. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. April;19(4):353-360. PMID 29419604.
- Hollands, C, Tobin, MK, Hsu, M, Musaraca, K, Yu, TS, Mishra, R, Kernie, SG and Lazarov, O. (2017) Depletion of adult neurogenesis exacerbates cognitive deficits in Alzheimer’s disease by compromising hippocampal function. Molecular Neurodegeneration. Sep 8;12(1):64. PMID 28886753.
- Yu, TS, Tensaouti, Y, Bagha, ZM, Davidson, R, Kim, A, and Kernie, SG. (2017) Adult newborn neurons interfere with fear discrimination in a protocol-dependent manner. Brain and Behavior. Aug 2;7(9):e00796. PMID 28948089
- Yu TS, Kim A, Kernie SG. (2015) Donepezil rescues spatial learning and memory deficits following traumatic brain injury independent of its effects on neurogenesis. PLoS One. 10(2):e0118793. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0118793. eCollection. PMID: 25714524; PMCID: PMC4340948.
- Hong S, Washington PM, Kim A, Yang CP, Yu TS, Kernie SG. (2015) Apolipoprotein E Regulates Injury-Induced Activation of Hippocampal Neural Stem and Progenitor Cells. J Neurotrauma. 2015 Jun 11. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25905575.
- Sun C, Sun H, Wu S, Lee CC, Akamatsu Y, Wang RK, Kernie SG, Liu J. (2013) Conditional ablation of neuroprogenitor cells in adult mice impedes recovery of poststroke cognitive function and reduces synaptic connectivity in the perforant pathway. Journal of Neuroscience. 33:17314-17325. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2129-13.2013. PMID: 24174664; PMCID: PMC3812503.
- Chen, J, Li, Y, Yu, TS, McKay, RM, Burns, DK, Kernie SG, and Parada, LF (2012). A restricted cell population propagates glioblastoma growth following chemotherapy. Nature. 488 (7412): 522-526. PMID: 225854781
- Gilley, JA, Yang CP, and Kernie SG. (2011) Developmental profiling of postnatal dentate gyrus progenitors provides evidence for dynamic cell-autonomous regulation. Hippocampus. 21(1): 33-47. PMID: 20014381
- Yang CP, Gilley JA, and Kernie SG. (2011) ApoE is required for maintenance of the dentate gyrus neural progenitor pool. Development. 138(20): 4351-4362. PMID: 21880781
- Gilley, JA and Kernie SG. (2011) GltI and Glast negatively regulate calcium-dependent proliferation of hippocampal neural progenitor cells and are persistently upregulated after injury. European Journal of Neuroscience. 34(11): 1712-1723. PMID: 22092549
- Blaiss CA, Yu TS, Zhang G, Chen J, Dimchev G, Parada LF, Powell CM, and Kernie SG. (2011) Temporally specified genetic ablation of neurogenesis impairs cognitive recovery following traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neuroscience. 31(13): 4906-4916. PMID: 21451029
- Koch J, Miles DK, Gilley J, Yang CP, and Kernie SG. (2008) Brief exposure to hyperoxia depletes the glial progenitor pool and impairs functional recovery following hypoxic-ischemic brain injury. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 28 (7): 1294-1306. PMID: 18334993
- Chen Y*, Miles DK*, Hoang TN, Shi J, Hurlock EC, Kernie SG, and Lu QR. (2008) The bHLH transcription factor Olig2 is critical for reactive astrocyte proliferation after cortical injury. Journal of Neuroscience. 28(43): 10983-10989. * equal contribution. PMID: 18945906
- Li Y, Luikart BW, Birnbaum S, Chen J, Kwon CH, Kernie SG, Bassel-Duby R, and Parada LF. (2008) TrkB regulates hippocampal neurogenesis and governs sensitivity to antidepressive treatment. Neuron. 59(3): 399-412. PMID: 18701066
- Yu TS, Zhang G, Liebl DJ, and Kernie SG. (2008) Traumatic brain injury-induced hippocampal neurogenesis requires activation of early nestin-expressing progenitors. Journal of Neuroscience. 28(48): 12901-12912. PMID: 19036984
- Shi J, Miles DK, Orr BA, Massa SM, and Kernie SG. (2007) Injury-induced neurogenesis in Bax-deficient mice: Evidence for regulation by voltage-gated potassium channels. European Journal of Neuroscience. 25(12): 3499-3412. PMID: 17610570
- Kernie SG, Erwin TM, and Parada LG. (2001) Brain remodeling due to neuronal and astrocytic proliferation following controlled cortical injury in mice. Journal of Neuroscience Research. 66(3): 317-26. PMID: 11746349 *corresponding author
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov