Departments And Divisions
- Department of Psychiatry
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Professor of Psychiatry
- Director, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Co-Director, NIMH T32 Postdoctoral Fellowship for Translational Research in Child Psychiatric Disorders
- Co-Director, Whitaker Scholar Program in Developmental Neuropsychiatry
The Veenstra-VanderWeele lab is dedicated to helping children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and their families. We are approaching this goal using a variety of techniques, from animal models to research in adults with ASD. The majority of our efforts go toward developing and studying mouse models to understand the relationship between ASD or OCD risk factors and the resulting changes in brain and behavior. We are also working to translate laboratory research findings into novel treatments for children and adults with autism spectrum disorders or related genetic syndromes.
- MD, Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago
- Residency: University of Chicago Hospitals
- Fellowship: University of Chicago Hospitals
Education & Training
CUMC/Herbert Pardes Building of the New York State Psychiatric Institute1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
- (646) 774-5251
Center for the Developing Brain (CADB)21 Bloomingdale Road
White Plains, NY 10605
- (914) 997-5848
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Veenstra-VanderWeele J, Muller CL, Iwamoto H, Sauer JE, Owens WA, Cohen J, Shah C, Mannangatti P, Jessen T, Thompson BJ, Carneiro AMD, Crawley JN, Sanders-Bush E, McMahon DG, Ramamoorthy S, Daws LC, Sutcliffe JS, Blakely RD: Autism gene variant causes hyperserotonemia, serotonin receptor hypersensitivity, social impairment and repetitive behavior. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2012;109: 5469-5474
- Hammock EA#, Veenstra-VanderWeele J#, Yan Z, Kerr TM, Morris M, Anderson GM, Carter CS, Cook EH, Jacob S (# Equal contribution): Examining autism spectrum disorders by biomarkers: example from the oxytocin and serotonin systems. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2012;51: 712-721
- Muller CL, Anacker AMJ, Veenstra-VanderWeele J (2016). The serotonin system in autism spectrum disorder: from biomarker to animal models. Neuroscience 321: 24-41.
- Anagnostou E, Aman MG, Handen BL, Sanders KB, Shui A, Hollway JA, Brian J, Arnold LE, Capano L, Hellings JA, Butter E, Mankad D, Tumuluru R, Kettel J, Newsom C, Peleg N, Odrobina D, McAuliffe-Bellin S, Zakroysky P, Marler S, Wagner A, Wong T, Macklin EA, Veenstra-VanderWeele J (In Press). A randomized, placebo controlled trial of metformin for the treatment of overweight induced by antipsychotic medication in young people with ASD. JAMA Psychiatry.
- Muller CL, Anacker AMJ, Rogers TD, Keller E, Goeden N, Forsberg KG, Kerr T, Shah CS, Wallace MT, Anderson GM, Stanwood GD, Bonnin A, Blakely RD, Veenstra-VanderWeele J (In Press). Maternal genotype of an autism risk variant impacts placental and forebrain serotonin system. Neuropsychopharmacology.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov