Departments And Divisions
- Department of Biomedical Engineering (Columbia University)
- Department of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery
- Associate Professor of Auditory Biophysics (in Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery)
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering (Columbia University)
Frequency tuning in the auditory periphery; transmission of sound through the middle ear.
- PhD, Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Education & Training
- 630 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
- (212) 305-3993
- Sensory Physiology
- Systems and Circuits
- Olson ES and Nakajima HH 2015 “A family of fiber-optic based pressure sensors for intracochlear measurements”, Proc. SPIE 9303.
- Kale S and Olson ES 2014 “Intracochlear pressure measurements in scala media inform models of cochlear mechanics”, Proceedings of the Mechanics of Hearing Meeting, Cape Sounio Greece, 23 – 28.
- Bergevin C and Olson ES 2014 “External and middle ear sound pressure distribution and acoustic coupling to the tympanic membrane” J.Acoust.Soc.Am.135: 1294-1312.
- Decraemer WF, deLaRochefoucald O, Funnell WRJ and Olson ES 2014 “Three-dimensional vibration of the malleus and incus in the living gerbil” J. Assoc. Res. Otolaryn. 15:483-510.
- Kale S, Cervantes VM, Wu MR, Pisano DV, Sheth N and Olson ES 2014 “A novel perfusion-based method for cochlear implant electrode insertion” Hearing Research. 314:33-41.
- Kelso CM, Watanabe H, Wazen JM, Bucher T, Qian ZJ, Olson ES, Kysar JW and Lalwani AK 2014 “Microperforations significantly enhance diffusion across the round window membrane” Otology and Neurotology 36: 694-700.
- Olson ES 2013 “Fast waves, slow waves and cochlear excitation” Acoustical Society of America, Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, Vol 19, No 1.
- Dong W and Olson ES 2013 “Detection of cochlear amplification and its activation” Biophysical Journal 105: 1067-1078.
- Dong W, Varavva P and Olson ES 2013 “Sound transmission along the ossicular chain in common wild-type laboratory mice” Hearing Research 301: 27-3.
- Huang S, Dong W and Olson ES 2012 “Subharmonic distortion in ear canal pressure and intracochlear pressure and motion.” J. Assoc. Res. Otolaryn 13: 461– 471.
- Olson ES, Duifhuis D and Steele CR 2012 “von Bekesy and cochlear mechanics” Hearing Research 293: 31-43.
- Dong W, Decraemer, WF and Olson ES 2012 “Reverse transmission along the ossicular chain in gerbil.” J. Assoc. Res. Otolaryn. 13: 447– 459.
- Shera CS, Olson ES and Guinan JJ 2011 “On cochlear impedances and the miscomputation of power gain.” J. Assoc. Res. Otolaryn.12: 671– 676.
- Huang S and Olson ES 2011 “Auditory nerve excitation via a non-traveling-wave mode of basilar membrane motion.” J. Assoc. Res. Otolaryn.12: 559 – 575.
- Eze, N. and Olson, E.S. 2011 “Basilar membrane velocity in a cochlea with modified organ of Corti.” Biophysical J. 100: 858-867.
- de La Rochefoucauld, O. , Kachroo, P. and Olson, E.S. 2010 "Ossicular motion related to middle ear transmission delay in gerbil" Hearing Research on-line.
- Dong, W. and Olson, E.S. 2009 “In-vivo impedance of the gerbil organ of Corti at auditory frequencies.” Biophysical Journal 97: 1233 – 1243. PMCID: PMC2749745
- Dong, W. and Olson, E.S., 2008 “Supporting evidence for reverse cochlear traveling waves.” J.Acoust.Soc.Am.123: 222-240.
- de La Rochefoucauld, O. and Olson, E.S. 2007 “The role of organ of Corti mass in cochlear tuning.” Biophysical J. 93: 3434-3450. PMCID: PMC2072075
- Olson, E.S. 2001 “Intracochlear pressure measurements related to cochlear frequency tuning.” J.Acoust.Soc.Am. 110: 349 – 367.
- Olson, E.S. 1999 “Direct measurement of intracochlear pressure waves.” Nature 402: 526-529.